Pages

Thursday, July 5, 2012

Design Dilemma: Wood Details

One of the things that I loved about this home when we were looking is that it still had some of the original details, wrought iron railings, funky layout, wood molding. When my father and I were preparing to paint the downstairs we found out that some of the wooden accents were removable. These included the two dark wood scrolls that were in the doorway between the Foyer and the Dining Room:
They are pretty funky. The color is a dark wood that matches the molding in the Foyer. (Sorry about the color in the picture, if I captured the true color, the detail was off). So they formerly hung in this space:
The space looks just fine without them, and honestly more modern. Right now they are hanging out on the floor in the Family Room, while I decide if they are going back up. I am really torn about this. After we removed them, I realized they were never originally part of the house and they lost some of their charm. That being said they are certainly funky and do compliment the molding in the Foyer. Anyone want to weigh in on their fate? To Hang or Not to Hang?

1 comment:

  1. I feel like it depends on how you decorate the rooms around them/the room they are in. I'd say if you go super modern then no.

    And since they're removeable you can test them out and see which you like better.

    ReplyDelete