Pages

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Summer Reading

So now that I have more free time, I finally got around to getting my library card. 
Sorry, the glare made it a bit blurry, but it has a nice picture of the Middlesex Blue Jay. They love their blue jays down here. They are the team names and on all of the signs. That being said the only blue jay I have seen yet was stealing tater tots at the Sonic's the next town over. 


So I have been looking for books to get me excited about medical school. After reading House of God and some other ones, I got the summer reading list from RWJMS. I thought I would share it because I spend some time looking for a list like this and now everyone will know what they want the doctors of tomorrow (okay, so really doctors of a decade from now, but close enough) to read. 


  • The Soul of a Doctor, Harvard Medical Students Face Life and Death, edited by Susan Pories, Sachin Jain and Gordon Harper
  • The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebeccal Skloot
  • Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese
  • Body of Work, by Christine Montross
  • Twelve Steps to a Compassionate Life by Karen Armstrong
  • Better A Surgeon’s Notes on Performance by Atul Gawande
  • Kitchen Table Wisdom by Rachel Naomi Remen
  • Mountains Beyond Mountains, by Tracy Kidder
  • The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down, by Ann Fadiman
  • Complications, by Atul Gawande
  • The Lonely Patient How We Experience Illness by Michael Stein
  • Arrowsmith, by Sinclair Lewis
  • Checklist Manifesto by Atul Gawande
  • Seeing Patients: Unconscious Bias in Health Care by Augustus White
  • Death of Ivan Ilyich by Leo Tolstoy
  • The Emperor of all Maladies by Siddhartha Mukherjee
  • The Great Influenza by John Barry
  • Crashing Through by Robert Kurson
We aren't required to read all of them (only the first one and another one on the list), but I thought it was worth sharing the whole list. I've read a few of these already and would recommend for those so inclined to indulge in the nerdfest, either The Emperor of all Maladies or Cutting for Stone. I thought that both were good and interesting. 

So here is to a summer of reading books from the library! Feel free to comment with any book recommendations either medically related or just enjoyable. 

No comments:

Post a Comment