Pages

Friday, June 8, 2012

'Ello, Accent Wall

Yesterday I said not to mind the unpainted wall on the left in the Living Room. That is because it is an accent wall. Yea, we are getting adventurous. Here is a before with some edging, looking towards the front of the house:
And now looking towards the back of the house (ignore my lil' boo boo where I got a little over zealous edging the Warm Muffin, what can I say, I was in the zone):
So the internet tells me that you are supposed to pick an accent wall based on the wall that already stands out. You walk into the room and whatever wall catches your eye, that is your accent wall. Well, the front wall would have been that wall, but we chose this wall for three reasons:

  1. Unlike the front wall, it doesn't connect into any other rooms. The front wall goes right into the Foyer, which would have been a bit awkward with an accent wall.
  2. We plan to put the TV on this wall, so we are hoping that once that is up, this will be the wall that draws your attention anyway. *fingers crossed*
  3. The room is long rather an wide, and we were hoping that by painting a 'cool' color on this wall it would help widen the room and make the room look more square. 
Now that I have sufficiently justified my breaking of the Accent Wall rules we can move on to the color and the after pictures. We had originally planned to use the same color that was used in the Master Bedroom, Winter Lake. I was concerned that it was too dark, so we opted for one shade lighter (and several degrees warmer), Cool Dusk. So here are the after pictures. First facing the front of the house:
And now facing the back of the house:
Looky there, I am starting to get better with taking the 'before' and the 'after' pictures from the same spot. No promises on that in the future though. 

So while my father (the man who painted every room white) thought it was a bit silly to paint one wall a different color, I really like it. Again, my only complaint is that it really brings out the red carpet and the 3 primary colors together gives it a bit of a pre-school feeling. But another project for another day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment